Guiding other women to success
Part of the South African Council for Business Women’s (SACBW) unique offering is the development of a strong business sisterhood – a space where women can learn and grow by sharing their experiences or concerns with others. For this reason, the SACBW has included a category in its annual Recognition Awards for the Mentor and Mentee of the year.
Mentoring is described as a relationship between two people with the goal of professional and personal development. This means that the more experienced individual, usually the “mentor”, will share knowledge, experience, and advice with a less experienced person, or “mentee.”
Why is mentoring important in business?
The purpose of mentoring is to help you grow as a person and become the best version of yourself. This often includes a process of keeping you accountable to achieve your personal or career goals, helping you find new ways of thinking, challenging your assumptions and sharing valuable life lessons.
Principles of a mentor/mentee relationship
A mentoring relationship must be based on trust, confidentiality, mutual respect and sensitivity. Both parties should agree to the boundaries and ground rules before embarking on this journey. Mentor and mentee should feel comfortable in each other’s space and have measurable outcomes for the impact you hope to achieve. To support you in becoming a successful mentor, the SACBW will offer a short training workshop in March – and if you have not yet identified a mentee, we can assist by matching you with someone in need of guidance and mentoring.
We also have three videos on the process that you can access on the member’s portal. HERE
Let us help each other grow!
Category 2: SACBW Mentor/mentee of the Year NO registration fee
The Mentor-Mentee relationship often has a spontaneous start. It is a relationship of trust, where the Mentor shares lessons learned, provides guidance and an action plan and the Mentee is open to information, follows the actions and they both celebrate the successes of the Mentee.
The Mentor must:
- Attend the SACBW mentorship webinars 3 x 1-hr sessions to view in your own time available on SACBW Member Portal from 1 April 2022 to 31 May 2022
- Complete the mentorship/mentee registration form
- If the mentee is not a SACBW member then the mentee must be registered as a “Friend of the SACBW” and the R199 p.a. must be paid before 31 May 2022.
- Submit a mentorship action plan agreed upon with mentee and submitted on or before 31 May 2022. (Template available)
- The progress will then be measured from 13 August to 30 August 2021.
- Submit a progress report and highlight achievements on or before the 31 August 2022
- Submit a 3-minute interview video with the mentee,
- The winning mentor/mentee of each Branch will be nominated to participate for the National Mentor and Mentee of the Year Award.
Mentorship Sessions 1 to 3.
Make sure to watch all three sessions