The essence of life is growth. Without growth and progression, life (and we as humans) might as well not exist. But to live a life of meaning, it is paramount for any person to constantly develop. Self development is how we enable ourselves to move forward and grow both personally and professionally.
We need growth in our experiences, knowledge, and the wisdom that we gather throughout our lives, before ultimately passing it on to the next generation. As Lao Tzu said: “Knowing others is intelligence. Knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength”. Mastering yourself is true power.
What is self-development?
Self-development is a conscious decision you take to improve yourself in the various aspects of your life. It does not happen by chance – it takes effort and will power – and can be a lifelong process you commit to. Self-development helps to improve your personal skills such as communication or how you handle conflict. It can even be practicing or developing your talents, or it can be to educate yourself better. Basically, it is about striving to continuously be a better version of yourself holistically.
Where do I start with self-development?
- Self-discovery is a good place to start. If you don’t know yourself, you will not know where to start or where you are headed. Do a proper and honest evaluation of yourself.
- Decide on a few areas you would want to improve on as a starting point. Don’t choose too many – rather limit the goals but put 100% focus and effort in to achieve your goals.
- Set the goals and work out how you are going to achieve it. If, for example, your goal is to learn a new language by the end of the year, you must enrol yourself into a course. You have to set the wheels in motion – just talking about it will not be enough!
- Obtain a mentor and some extra help. Don’t go through self-development alone. You might lose sight of your goals or become demotivated. You need someone’s guidance and have them cheering you on to keep you on track. Get extra help like self-help books, or online support groups etc. The more help you can get the quicker and better you’ll arrive at your end goal.
- Get into the habit of it. Make sure your methods to improve yourself becomes a healthy constant habit. Try to make it a habit of upskilling yourself in something different every month. This will keep you going and it will become second nature,
Self-development starts with you, and it is your responsibility. Decide what you really want out of life: whether it is a promotion in your workplace, or being better at relationships, most people want to “do better”. Once you are committed and into the process, you’ll see how self-improvement can become addictive. No matter how you look at it, self-development will help you grow and will enhance your happiness.
For more information on the workshop Self-Development offered by The Mindspa Institute, visit https://themindspa.co.za