Outside my comfort zone…
One of the reasons why I LOVE traveling is how it has the potential to take you outside of your comfort zone. There are so many studies that have shown that traveling is not only essential for getting some rest and relaxation, but that it is one of the best educational tools available – this is one of the reasons my husband and I have never regretted spending money on taking our children on trips across the world. Traveling helps you get out of your comfort zone by allowing you to do things you would not necessarily do at home and/or in your own country, learning about and experiencing new cultures, stretching yourself, for example when it comes to arriving in a country where you know nobody and cannot speak their language, to taking part in activities which might frighten you but you know this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience it and so you just ‘do it’, quite possibly to find out afterwards that it was the best experience ever! It has been proven that traveling makes you a better leader, helps you think out of the box, look at things in a new light and from a different perspective, be inspired by beautiful things, feel the adrenaline of ‘living on the edge’ – which business (or person) cannot benefit from all that?! These exposures to what is different, helps us realize there is never just one way to solve a problem, and that is also why travel gives one the realization that diversity gives one a competitive advantage both in life and business. Recent studies have also suggested that traveling actually ‘sparks new synapses and revitalizes brain activity’.
If you feel it is time to open yourself up to new opportunities, teach yourself how to rise to challenges, become more resourceful and boost your confidence, maybe it is time to go on a trip that will take you right out of your comfort zone. If you find that you are always gravitating to the same town/area/type of trip, it is time to broaden your horizon. How to do this? Try some of these tips:
- Learn a new language then go travel to put it into practice (and yes, possible even within our borders!)
- Take a solo trip – the ultimate way to stretch yourself if you have never done it before!
- Talk to the locals – excellent way to get over any shyness and you will be pleasantly surprised
- Do something that scares you – I did this when my oldest son and I went to Australia and both my sister and I decided to go on every ride our sons decided to go on, it was sometimes so scary but in the end I felt proud and exhilarated all at the same time, not to mention the memories I made with my son!
- Ditch the map or map app and just follow your nose and see where it leads you, find out of the way markets, shops and eateries – taking risks helps us grow!
- Book yourself on a cultural cooking class if you have never cooked before or are not so good at it – or find out where the locals eat and go sample their way of eating
- Take a trip around Italy on a moped (ditch the taxi’s and busses)…. for now you may just have to plan it, but there is great fun in the planning part too as it makes the eventual trip more fulfilling as then it is truly an achievement of the realization of a dream, substantiated by a plan which has been put into action to bring about a desired result.
What will take YOU out of YOUR comfort zone? I challenge you to take that step and return home more open minded, positive and ready to face new challenges! It starts with the first step, even if it is small – take the plunge!
So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and join me!
079 887 1170
Disclaimer: My only warning, is to always make sure you stay vigilant and aware of possible danger – forewarned is forearmed so make sure you know what the do’s and don’ts are for the country you are visiting, listen to your inner voice and gut feeling so that you stay safe and just simply ‘don’t be stupid’.